So I decided to be creative and take the veggies that they gave us for the sandwiches and chop them up for a big salad. Then I took the meat and cheese off of the sandwiches and cut that up and tossed with the veggies for a chef salad. What to do with the leftover bread? Make croutons of course!
One memory I have of my granny is that she used to make croutons. This lady could cook. She had 8 kids, after all, so had to get creative with her food.
These were super easy and fast to make.
Ingredients:
any kind of loaf bread
any seasonings you like (I used garlic salt and Italian seasonings)
olive oil
Directions:
preheat oven to 500* (or as high as it will go)
tear up bread into bite size chunks and place on rimmed baking pan
sprinkle with as much seasoning as you like
drizzle with olive oil and stir (I used my hands to make sure that each piece was well coated)
bake until crunchy*
These were so good I made them twice in one week. *The first time I made them, I put them in the oven before it was totally heated and was taking them out at the same time my oven beeped that it was up to 500*. They crunch up pretty fast.




Way to go, you frugal mama! What an inventive way to use up your food!! I love things like that. We ate those sandwiches for lunch for three days. Ha!
ReplyDeleteI love making croutons, too. I melt 1/2 stick butter and about 1/2 cup olive oil. Mix those and toss your bread cubes in them. Salt and pepper and you have delicious croutons! Thanks for sharing yours!
Sounds super yummy, I will have to remember that!
ReplyDeleteSounds delicious Heather! I'll be making some croutons to go with a nice crisp fresh salad for dinner! MMMmm..
ReplyDeleteBrandi's sound really yummy too.