Friday, December 18, 2009

Banana Cream Pie

I found this recipie in a Taste of Home's Quick Cooking cookbook several years ago and made it. We really liked the way it turned out then but I have not made it since. I decided a few weeks ago to find it and make it. I forgot how good it is. I have made it twice since Thanksgiving. Plan ahead because it needs to chill.





Ingredients:
Crust:
1/3 cups butter
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons sugar

Filling:
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 1/4 cups milk
3 egg yolks lightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 medium firm bananas-cut into 1/4 inch slices

Cool whip and additional banana slices are optional.

Directions:
Place butter in a greased 9 in. microwave-safe pie plate. Heat uncovered on high until melted. Stir in graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Mix well. Press into bottom and sides of pie plate. Microwave on high for 1 1/2-2 mintues or until crust is firm and holds together. Cool completely.
To make the filling, in a large microwave safe bowl, combine sugar, flour, and cornstarch. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Microwave uncovered 9-10 minutes or until thickened stirring every 2-3 minutes. Stir a small amount of heated mixture into eggs. Gradually return egg mixture to bowl stirring constantly. Cook 1-2 minutes longer or until bubbly stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in remaining butter, vanilla, and salt until butter is melted. Cool for 20 minutes stirring frequently.
Arrange bananas in crust. Top with filling. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight. Top with cool whip and additional bananas if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment